How many times have you reminded an organization that it should provide new members with a copy of the group’s bylaws? NAP provides its bylaws (as well as other governing documents) for us to read and understand, but how often do we do that? Here are five QUICK QUIZ questions based on NAP’s bylaws. Can you answer all five off the top of your head? Give it a try!
1. Which of the following is not a recognized membership category in NAP?
- at large
2. Application for a charter to authorize a group to become a study unit requires which of the following?
- At least 5 NAP members to become members of the unit.
- If an electronic unit, at least 10 NAP members to become members of the unit.
- Evidence of a corporate charter registered with the state in which forming.
- The group must agree to have no provisional members until a charter is granted.
3. NAP dues may be adjusted by:
- A 2/3rds vote of the Board of Directors if the dues increase is not greater than the CPI rate of inflation.
- A 2/3rds vote of convention delegates if the dues increase is greater than the CPI rate of inflation.
- A majority of convention delegates if the notice for the dues increase is provided in the call to convention.
- Since the rate of dues in listed in the standing rules – not in the bylaws – any dues increase may be made at any time by a majority of the delegates.
4. Credentialed members retain their status by renewing their level of credential every _______ years.
5. May voting at the upcoming biennial NAP business session be done by absentee ballot or by proxy?
- Absentee ballot only
- Proxy only
- Either absentee ballot or proxy
- Neither absentee ballot nor proxy
1. All of the listed categories are recognized by the NAP bylaws as legitimate membership categories except (k) “charter.” Although the bylaws discuss charters and chartering units, no mention is made specifically of “charter members.” For the others, check out Art. III, Sec. 1 and Art. IV, Sec 5D.
2. Only (a) is valid among the four choices: 5 NAP members are necessary to charter a unit. Check out Art. IV, Sec. 5.
3. Both (a) and (b) could be invoked to approve a dues increase depending on the amount of increase being sought. Check out Art. III, Sec. 3. By the way, the amount of dues is listed in the standing rules, but the rules for their increase are found in the bylaws.
4. Recertifying credentials (whether RP or PRP) must be accomplished every (c) six years. Check out Art.III, Sec. 1B.
5. Check out Art. VI, Sec. 6 to find out the correct answer as (d).